Over the past couple of years, there have been two teams that have established themselves as the dominant forces in the Premier League. Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City have won the league title two years in a row but last season saw Liverpool emerge as their only serious rivals, with City pipping the Reds to the title by one point, despite the Reds losing just one game all season.
Liverpool consoled themselves by landing the Champions League in Madrid against Tottenham but the Reds fans are desperate for their first Premier League title success and having opened up a six point gap over City, they have started the season well. City know a win for Liverpool would leave them nine points adrift of the Reds with around two thirds of the season to go. The game is huge in more ways than one and of course, there will be massive interest in the game around the world for fans and punters alike.
Up to £100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365.
If you fancy a flutter on the outcome of the game between Liverpool and Manchester City this weekend, then why not head on over to bet365 Sport to see the myriad of different markets that they have available on the fixture? Remember too, you can also bet on the game as it is in progress using the extensive In Play betting service available on the site. If you are not yet a member and want to sign up, then check out the current bet365 New Customer Bonus to see what is available to you when you sign up and start betting on site.
Such a huge fixture brings a worldwide focus to the game and that means you should have plenty of betting opportunities to enjoy on the Liverpool v Man City clash at sites like PlaySugarHouse.com. Pennsylvanian customers can also play online casino games and poker at this brand-new site. So if you would like to play and want more details, check out the current playsugarhouse bonus code information for more details.
Let’s now preview the big game on Sunday at Anfield and bring you our top tips for the match.
Liverpool v Manchester City – Preview
Head to Head Record
- Games Played – 213
- Liverpool Wins – 104
- Man City Wins – 56
- Draws – 53
Last Ten Games Between The Teams
- Aug 2019 – Community Shield – Man City 1-1 Liverpool (City win on penalties 5-4)
- Jan 2019 – EPL – Man City 2-1 Liverpool
- Oct 2018 – EPL – Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City
- Apr 2018 – Champs League – Man City 1-2 Liverpool
- Apr 2018 – Champs League – Liverpool 3-0 Man City
- Jan 2018 – EPL – Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City
- Sep 2017 – EPL – Man City 5-0 Liverpool
- Mar 2017 – EPL – Man City 1-1 Liverpool
- Dec 2016 – EPL – Liverpool 1-0 Man City
- Mar 2016 – EPL – Liverpool 3-0 Man City
Premier League Performances This Season
- Liverpool 4-1 Norwich City (Hanley OG, Salah, Van Dijk, Origi)
- Southampton 1-2 Liverpool (Mane, Firmino)
- Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal (Matip, Salah 2)
- Burnley 0-3 Liverpool (Wood OG, Mane, Firmino)
- Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle Utd (Mane 2, Salah)
- Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool (Alexander-Arnold, Firmino)
- Sheff Utd 0-1 Liverpool (Wijnaldum)
- Liverpool 2-1 Leicester City (Mane, Milner)
- Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool (Lallana)
- Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham (Henderson, Salah)
- Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool (Robertson, Mane)
Played 11 – Won 10, Drew 1, Lost 0 Scored 25, Conceded 9 – Position 1st
- West Ham 0-5 Manchester City (Jesus, Sterling 3, Aguero)
- Man City 2-2 Tottenham (Sterling, Aguero)
- Bournemouth 1-3 Man City (Aguero 2, Sterling)
- Man City 4-0 Brighton (De Bruyne, Aguero 2, Silva.B)
- Norwich City 3-2 Man City (Aguero, Rodri)
- Manchester City 8-0 Watford (Silva.D, Aguero, Mahrez, Silva.B 3, Otamendi, De Bruyne)
- Everton 1-3 Manchester City (Jesus, Mahrez, Sterling)
- Manchester City 0-2 Wolves
- Crystal Palace 0-2 Manchester City (Jesus, Silva.D)
- Manchester City 3-0 Aston Villa (Sterling, Silva.D, Gundogan)
- Manchester City 2-1 Southampton (Aguero, Walker)
Played 11 – Won 8, Drew 1, Lost 2, Scored 34, Conceded 10 – Position 2nd.
Liverpool will be without the services of defender Joel Matip and midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri for this game as both continue their recovery from injury. Jordan Henderson, who missed the midweek Champions League win over Genk, will have recovered from illness to take his place in the team if selected. Several players were rested in midweek for this game including Firmino, Mane and Robertson.
Liverpool Probable Team – 4-3-3 – Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, van Dijk, Lovren, Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Firmino
Manchester City will be without a number of key defenders for this game with Otamendi, Laporte and deputising midfielder Rodri all ruled out, which means Fernandinho could start in defence alongside John Stones. Leroy Sane is also missing for City as are David Silva and Oleksandr Zinchenko. It will be interesting to see the line up City adopt for the game at Anfield as even with so many players out, City still have a stellar selection of players to pick from.
Man City Probable Team – 4-3-3 – Ederson, Walker, Mendy, Stones, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, B.Silva, Gundogan, Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez
Liverpool v Man City Top Tips
Liverpool have not lost a Premier League game at Anfield since April 2017., but the closest they came to a defeat was against City last season when a missed penalty from Riyad Mahrez late in the game ensured the game finished 0-0.
The Reds otherwise have a very good record against City, with just a few sharp defeats on the road blotting their copybook. City’s record at Anfield is poor, even in the Guardiola, and without a number of their key men, including Leroy Sane, who has netted four goals against the Reds in the last two seasons, they will feel this is a huge test.
One positive for City is that despite their great start, Liverpool are not playing particularly well at the moment and it their dogged attitude, rather than the free-flowing football, that is earning them wins. City have fallen to two defeats this season but at other times they have looked imperious, scoring lots of goals especially against the likes of Watford and West Ham.
City also tend to do better in games that kick off a little earlier in the day and with this being a late kick off on Sunday, Anfield will be buzzing for this game and that tends to bring out the best from the home team. Liverpool have an axe to grind after missing out on the league last season and I think Reds fans will roar their team on to a victory here.
- Liverpool to win – 13/8
- Liverpool to win 3-1 – 20/1
- Liverpool to win and both teams to score – 7/2