It has already been an incredible week for Manchester City as they have made it through to their first ever Champions League final. A 2-0 win over Paris St Germain in the second leg of their semi final was more than enough to see the Citizens through as they held a 2-1 lead from the first leg in Paris last week.
That result comes just a couple of weeks after they clinched the Carabao Cup with a 1-0 win over Tottenham at Wembley and now Manchester City can claim their second domestic trophy of the season as they face Chelsea on Saturday knowing a win hands them the Premier League title.
With Manchester United able to collect a maximum of 82 points, a win for City in either of their last four games would see them land 83 points and an unassailable lead at the top of the table. However, manager Pep Guardiola will want to get the league sewn up as quickly as possible, allowing him to rest and rotate players over the final few weeks of the season ahead of that massive Champions League final game.
In a twist of fate, this weekend’s game for City comes against Chelsea, the team that knocked City out of the FA Cup at the semifinal stage a few weeks back and who could also face the Mancunians in the Champions League final in Istanbul.
Chelsea are tied 1-1 with Real Madrid after the first leg of their semifinal in Spain last week and either a 0-0 draw, or any form of win for Londoners in tonight’s game at Stamford Bridge would put them into the final against City later in the month.
So this weekend is not just a game that may decide the Premier League title, it could also be a preview of the Champions League final set to take place in a few weeks’ time. As such, interest in the game is going to be huge and you can enjoy a wealth of betting on the match, both before kick-off and In Play with bet365 Sport.
If you are tuning into the action from the United States and want to know what the situation is regarding sports betting in your state, as well as details of the latest promotions, offers and sign up bonuses from all the different providers across the country, then check out bestbetusa.com for all the latest sports news, betting promotions and more.
Let’s now preview the big game at the Etihad this weekend before we give you our top tips for the match.
Manchester City v Chelsea – Preview
- Venue – Etihad Stadium, Manchester
- Date – Saturday 8th May 2021
- Kick Off – 5.30pm
- Referee – Anthony Taylor
- Man City Form – WWWWWLWLWW
- Chelsea Form – WDWdWLWWLW*
*Note Chelsea’s form does not include their Champions League semifinal 2nd leg against Real Madrid which is being played tonight (Wednesday 5th May).
Saturday’s game will be the third time these teams have faced off this season, and there is a chance they could meet for a fourth time in the Champions League Final later in May, should Chelsea come through their tie with Real Madrid tonight.
City very much are the team in form in the Premier League at the moment with just one defeat in that competition in their last six. Chelsea’s form is a little more erratic but they too have been pretty solid since Thomas Tuchel took over as manager.
In addition to City requiring the win to confirm the Premier League title, Chelsea need the win in order to maintain the gap between themselves in fourth spot and the chasing pack of teams trying to overtake them. West Ham, Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton are amongst the teams in that pack trying to overhaul the Londoners and all will be hoping for a City win here.
Manchester City v Chelsea Factfile
- The teams have played 167 times in total in their history.
- Chelsea have won 69 of those games between the two teams.
- Manchester City have amassed 59 wins.
- 39 games between the two teams have finished in a draw.
- The teams have met twice this season. Manchester City ran out 3-1 winners over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge back in January, but a few weeks back in April, Chelsea earned revenge with a 1-0 win over City in the FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley.
- There has not been a draw between the two sides in any of the last 15 games between the two. The last drawn game was a 1-1 draw back on the 31st January 2015.
- Of those 15 games between the teams, Manchester City have won nine of the encounters with Chelsea winning six.
- Chelsea have however won two of the last three encounters between the teams (2-1 at the end of last season, the game which handed the Premier League title to Liverpool) and their 1-0 FA Cup Semifinal win this season.
- Three of the last four games between the teams have seen both teams score. However, seven of the last ten games going back over a longer period have seen just one team score a goal.
- There was a 0-0 draw between the two in last year’s League Cup, but Manchester City won that game on penalties.
- From August 1994 to March 2009, Chelsea played Manchester City 20 times in total, winning 17 of those games, drawing two and losing just the one game.
- City boss Pep Guardiola holds a good record against Thomas Tuchel in head to head games. The managers teams have met six times in total with Pep’s team winning four of those games, with Tuchel enjoying just one win and the other game finishing as a draw.
Manchester City v Chelsea Game Preview & Tips
So, how will this third clash this season between these two teams go? Both will be desperate for the win for their own reasons as we have outlined above, but there are a number of factors that I think are going in Manchester City’s favour here.
City have had 24-hours extra to prepare for this game and that can be crucial. There is also the fact that Pep Guardiola can rotate his squad moreso than Thomas Tuchel for this game, simply because City have so much quality in depth.
However, Guardiola will not want a repeat of what happened in the FA Cup Semifinal where his rotated Man City team went down to a 1-0 defeat.
City have home advantage and the fact they can win the league and rest key players over the final couple of games of the season will be a huge incentive for Pep Guardiola ahead of their first Champions League final.
Chelsea may need the points for their own ends in the battle for a Champions League place this season but I can’t see them having quite enough to land the win here. However, I think Thomas Tuchel would trade a win here for a win in the Champions League final at the end of May, should his Chelsea team get through to the final.
As such, we are going for a Manchester City win here with the following tips:
- Match Result – Manchester City to win (5/6)
- Correct Score – Manchester City 2-0 Chelsea (17/2)
- Anytime Goalscorer – Ferran Torres (Manchester City) (21/10)
*All odds shown were correct with bet365 Sport as of 11am on Wednesday 5th May 2021.